Thursday, November 25, 2010

No goats were harmed in the making of this bracelet

That's probably one of the odder disclaimers I've ever had to make; but I fear it is going to be necessary.

I'm getting close to finishing my original Ice Queen Challenge piece, and just this morning I got the brilliant idea to incorporate some angora goat hair into the clasp. It's gorgeous, but it looks rather like fur, and I fear that in order not to freak people out, I really must explain.

No goats were harmed in the making of this bracelet.

Many years ago my mom had a pet angora goat. Giselle was a beautiful animal, and lived a long, and very pampered life. Every year, her long hair was trimmed to keep her cool in summer, and one year, I took home a lovely bag full. No, I don't spin, but it's so pretty and soft, and I just knew that I would have some use for it, other than simply stroking it; which, come to think of it, is not a terribly bad use for it, in any case.

I did use some of it to make Santa's beard when I knit my daughter's Christmas stocking, but, other than that, it's just been for petting. Until this morning, that is, when I suddenly decided to sew some of it onto this bracelet. I had planned to do bead embroidery on that section, but it just seemed too cold. I wanted something furry and soft on this cuff. I thought about using rabbit fur, but I really didn't want to. It didn't feel right.

Giselle's hair, on the other hand, is perfect. It's soft, curly, and very touchable. And, best of all:

No goats were harmed in the making of this bracelet.

1 comment:

Cath Thomas said...

Ha ha, what a nice post. I appreciate your sense of humour as well as the fact that you did not harm rabbits!