Thursday, January 17, 2013

There are rules about these things


I like rules. I may not always follow them, I may even break them, but I like them. I like knowing the rules; I like knowing what is expected. I like the predictability of rules.

Strawberries in January? Nope, that's against the rules. Apparently my strawberry plants don't know the rules (or perhaps they just like breaking them); despite freezing nights and no cover from the elements, they're still fruiting. Not a lot; just a berry here and there, and don't they look funny amongst all the dead leaves. But there are new leaves, too; just a few, and I guess the daytime temperatures are warm enough to keep them going.

It takes a lot of hope to break the rules.

3 comments:

Marcia DeCoster said...

I too am a rule follower, or at least a fan of knowing the rules....something to be learned from that little strawberry, heh?

Callie Mitchell said...

There are so many rules we all must live by every day that I admit I find my spirit inspired by this stubborn little berry, who, having no notion whatever of rules is doing his own thing! Go, Berry!

Sally Anderson said...

I love this berry. I am a rule-follower too but I really love the rule-breakers. Which has gotten me in trouble way too much. I figure a strawberry won't hurt!