Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Reality based

That's me. Mired in reality. Some people are able to take a flying leap into midair, certain of flight; I am not one of them. I am always aware of the pull of gravity; I look, then look again, and almost never leap.

I believe in learning, studying, and hard work. I like to practice; I expect to fail many times before I get something right. Failure doesn't surprise me; success does. I don't tend to believe in it. People who expect to succeed quickly find me difficult to be around. Don't ask for my opinion; I'll always come down on the side of hard work and time. Lots of hard work, and lots and lots of time.

I know a young woman with a beautiful voice and perfect pitch. She asked me if I thought that she should try out for American Idol this year; I told her that I thought she should take voice lessons and learn to use her voice first. I also told her I thought she had one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard; she does, but it could be so much better if she knew how to use it. I would love to be able to sing the way she does.

It wasn't what she wanted to hear. Should I have told her to give it a go? Perhaps. But I couldn't. As pretty as her voice is, I don't think she'd make it without training. With training, she might. She's that good. But she has stars in her eyes; she wants to sing right now, she doesn't want to work.

Me, I work. I can't sing, but I can work.

No comments: