Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fringe benefits

Or not.

I have a love/hate relationship with fringe. I love to wear it, I love the way it looks, I love to make things with fringe. But I just don't have a feel for designing it. Yet.

Inevitably, I find myself ripping it out and starting over . . . several times. That would be a minor setback if I made the decision to rip it out after a couple of strands; but that's not the way it works. It doesn't strike me as totally wrong until it is almost all done; it's heartbreaking, I tell you, to rip out 40 strands of 3-5 inch long fringe . . . twice . . .

But that's okay; each time I learned a little bit more about how fringe behaves; or in this case, misbehaves. I finally got a fringe that I'm happy with; in this piece it needed to be a background singer, not a soloist. I'll have to remember that; it just might be important.

Or not.

No comments: