Saturday, April 26, 2008

The 24 hour rule

I like to let most of my pieces sit on my workbench for a day or two before I declare them finished; some pieces want a little bit more (or less) a day or two after I set them down. Sometimes I'm pretty sure that a piece is finished; other times, I'm just not. Me being sure or not doesn't seem to change the outcome; I'm every bit as likely to make changes in a piece I thought was finished as in one I thought might not be.

In other words, until I've let a piece sit for at least 24 hours, I really don't know what I'm doing.

Comforting, eh? But, honestly, I get too close to my work while I'm working. Especially my more ornate pieces. Stark and simple is much easier to judge; I have to stop while it is still stark and simple. But ornate, oh, that's a whole 'nother ball game.

I decided to stop on Mom's necklace this afternoon; I could go further, and I might. But it's one of those pieces that I'd like to keep on the simple side of ornate, and I know how easy it is to slip into the, well, very ornate side of ornate.

Know what I mean?

No comments: