Friday, April 18, 2008

Fringe! Terrible fringe!

I have a new appreciation for those beaders who make fringed pieces. Whew! In theory, it's pretty easy. Go down, skip the last one and go back up. No need to read directions; set the pattern and that's that.

Not.

In order to make the fringe interesting, the number of beads in the first color set has to change. in order to keep the decorative beads at the bottom from bumping into each other, the number of beads in the last color set has to change. The color sets in the middle have to stay the same, or the pattern will be lost.

And then there's the little matter of getting the thread through each and every bead on the way back up. It's a lot harder than it looks. So my hat is off to those of you who make acres and acres of gorgeous fringe. I love the look, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth it to me!

No comments: