Friday, June 6, 2008

Mondrian and Me

I'm working on a bead embroidery piece with a large lampwork focal. The focal is gorgeous; very organic with great flow and movement. The embroidery is carrying out the colors and some of the shapes in the bead; but while I'm working, my mind is on Mondrian. You'd laugh at me if you looked at the piece; you'd think I was kidding. This piece is not geometric, the colors are not primary, it looks nothing like Mondrian at all.

But there it is. My mind is full of Mondrian.

And this piece is like nothing I've ever done before. It's Mondrian, filtered through my brain. Blocks of color, in organic shapes, lightly textured instead of flat. Red, yellow and blue rendered into shades of indigo, plum and sepia. Outlines that wander instead of forming grids.

It's not Mondrian; it's what I take from Mondrian.

No comments: