Tuesday, June 17, 2008

We're on our way home

So, okay, we're not on our way yet, but we're packing up. We're moving back to California in a couple of weeks, and oh my goodness, but have I ever collected a ton of stuff. I've been sorting through it and giving away quite a lot; the movers told us to think in terms of $1 per pound as the cost of moving. So I'm mentally weighing everything, calculating the cost, and deciding if I'd rather have that or something different for the price.

It's astonishing, really, how very much I own that I'd rather not spend the money to keep. Stuff is going to Goodwill by the van load. So far, I think I've donated upwards of 500 lbs; a lot of that was books. Books are heavy! It sure is a lot of work getting rid of things; it was a lot easier bringing them home. But we're down to the kitchen things; the extra set of silverware and the odd pots and pans are going to find a new home with a friend who is setting up housekeeping on her own for the first time; I hope she'll think of me when she uses them.

I love New York, but it's time to go home.

No comments: