Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The worst part of moving . . .

. . . has to be cleaning out the old place. That's what was on my plate today, and I'm very glad that I won't have to do THAT again!!!!

Whew. What a day. I vacuumed and scrubbed every inch of that place. My son opened the drain on the hot tub, and he took care of cleaning up the outside while I did the inside. We worked like maniacs, and were finished by noon. So we packed up the car and drove home. Settling down on the couch for a well-deserved rest, I picked up the newspaper and read:
"It's really, really cold for California."
How cold? Cold enough. Possibly 27 overnight. Yeah, laughable by midwest and east coast standards, but it almost NEVER gets that cold here.

And all I can think about is that hot tub, draining at the rate of about 3 inches an hour. Yup, do the math; no WAY would that sucker be totally empty before the big freeze. And, of course, we had to turn the heat off in order to drain it, so I'm instantly imagining that thing freezing and cracking.

Not an option.

So my wonderful son drove back over there with me and we bailed it out. Good thing we did, because the drain hole is about 6" above the bottom; even if it had finished draining, it would have had enough water in the bottom to possibly cause damage when it froze. But it's dry now. And covered. And my darling husband has offered to take us out for pizza.

Why couldn't this have been a NORMAL cold night of 52° !?!?!

No comments: