Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Vegging out

My meticulous garden is making lots of food. I have been harvesting every day; mostly green beans, artichokes and squash; though the strawberries and peaches have been steady, and the garlic all came due in one fell swoop. Now, of course, it's time to cook it and eat it; what we can't consume in a timely manner I am freezing.

Yesterday, I made roasted garlic and artichoke won tons in my new mini-deep fryer; what a difference it made! It's a lot less messy than trying to deep fry in a pot, and there's no guessing about the temperature. It's very small, so it doesn't use a lot of oil; I do have to fry in small batches, but that's okay. I never used a very large pot when I fried over the stove, so I'm used to small batches.

Today I'm frying patty pan squash in panko crumbs; I'm having fun with my new toy. But lest you think that everything I make is high calorie and deep fried, I must let you know that I also made a lovely bean salad today with roasted garlic and feta cheese, and I blanched three quarts of green beans for the freezer. We had them steamed last night at dinner, and by tomorrow there will, no doubt, be enough for another meal.

Tonight I'm going to make a pesto with more of the roasted garlic (yes, I roasted quite a lot of it!) and some basil from the garden. I've got some ravioli in the freezer, and we'll have it with a salad of baby lettuces and some of the roasted garlic and rosemary bread I made last night.

It's summer time, all right!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

my mouth is sooo watering right now! I am harvesting lettuce and tomatoes right now. Fresh is the best!

Karyn said...

Ohhh it all sounds wonderfully delicions. I LOVE pesto so I am so jealous that you are not only making some but using your own roasted garlic....delish!

Can you satisfy my tastebuds and put some pics of what you make...please!

Karyn

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

I never thought of photographing food! Everything I made today has either been consumed or packaged and in the freezer . . . but I am quite sure that it will all be repeated quite soon, lol. I'll try to remember to take some pictures next time.

Diamond Earrings said...

Your description is enhancing my hunger and my test buds starts watering. The story behind the jewelery is interesting.