Saturday, September 15, 2007

Spying on the big kids

Yesterday, I went to a wonderful Arts and Crafts Fair at Lyndhurst in Tarrytown, NY. It is the best show; all of the exhibitors are amazing and so very creative and they simply do not allow anything that is cheaply mass produced to slip by. Most of the pieces are one-offs, actually, and most of the booths are staffed by the artist. It's not just about jewelry; the woodworking, textiles, ceramics, photography and sculptures are also superb. Anyway, I wandered up and down the aisles all afternoon, my eyes as big as saucers, spying on the big kids to see what they know that I don't know.

I must say, they were very, very nice about it. Of course, I didn't tell them I was spying; and since I look a lot like every other New York matron of a certain age, I had a really effective disguise for my secret agent task. They let me handle their pretties and try them on, and they were very quick to show me their special details.

My mission was a complete success.

I came away with so many ideas . . . so many pieces made me think. My mind was reeling by the time I left. Here are a few of the highlights:

  • Mobiles made with teeny tiny origami cranes. They danced even when they were motionless. Repeated elements in asymmetrical juxtaposition...YES!!! What a great idea.

  • Wooden jewelry chests that hang on the wall and look more like art than cabinetry. Well, besides the fact that I want one, maybe sometimes function should follow form.

  • A hidden hook on the back of an earring can be used to secure the ear wire. Form hides function on that one.

  • A loose rivet lets everything twirl and move. That's fun.

  • Ear wires can be any shape. Really.

  • I have to make a mosaic bracelet. Soon.

And to top it all off, it was a beautiful day.

No comments: