Saturday, August 9, 2008

Blowing Glass

I had the most amazing experience today; my best friend gave me and my daughter glass blowing lessons for our birthdays. I made a thing; I'll post a picture of it when I get it back. Right now it is in the kiln, annealing, and after it comes out it will be sanded and polished.

Why do I call it a thing? Because it isn't quite a bowl, and it isn't quite a vase, and it's sort of like an abalone shell. Y'all know me; I like to go with the flow. So I let the glass go where it wanted to go, and then prodded it a bit. I ended up with a very asymmetrical vessel; not a surprise, really. All things considered, I generally prefer to make things asymmetrical.

My daughter made a beautiful round glass paperweight; perhaps she'll let me post a photo of it, too!

No comments: