Friday, August 15, 2008

Spiraling out of control

No, not really, but I just couldn't resist the title. I finally met a spiral I like! Let me rephrase that. I have fallen in love with a lot of different spirals in photos and other people's work; but every time I try them, they leave me cold. Not that they aren't pretty; they are. But I find that I simply do not know what to do with them once I've made them, and they're just not interesting enough to stand alone.

I've been playing with the spiral stitch; singles, doubles and triples. The single was a little too sparse for my taste, and the triple too full and bushy tailed. But the double is just right. I didn't like it in contrasting colors; that was too busy for me to work with. So I tried again in a pretty much monochromatic palette; my old favorites, black, blue-grey and a hint of pink.

It ended up looking more like a rope than a spiral, and I think it's going to anchor a sea-themed necklace. I've been wanting to do a beach piece and this color and texture combination is already saying ocean swells.

It's nice to have one I won't be taking out for a change.

No comments: