Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A window opened

The flexible beading wire didn't work.

As you may remember, my contest entry needed a bit of structural work after I added the focal section; the poor necklace part was weighed down, and well, it sagged. Sagging is not attractive; it happens to most all of us, but not to necklaces. Well, not if I can help it, anyway!

Oh, I was able to force the beading wire through the beads (it wasn't easy, but I did it); unfortunately, the beading wire added more new problems than it solved. It was too stiff, and ruined the drape of the necklace. It kinked in places, and ruined the line. And, worst of all, the necklace still sagged, just enough to bug me.

So I pulled it out again. And, this time, I thought more about stabilizing the structure than about shoring it up. Physics, baby: what are the most stable structures in nature? And, how can I leverage that? So, now the beading on the necklace is more crystalline in nature. Strong, yet flexible.

And, best of all, it's not only stronger, it's better looking.

2 comments:

Dave Robertson said...

Hi Cynthia, I like your work here and it's very entertaining to read about physics being applied to jewelry design. (A great idea, too.) I missed your previous posts, so I don't know what contest you're going to enter...??

--Dave
at Rings & Things

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

Thanks, Dave! Yup, everything I know eventually gets applied to beading.

I've entered the Use the Muse contest; this is my first go at a "kit contest" and I'm having a ball with it. Odd problems and all!

I can't wait to be able to show it; I'm under a gag order right now. The sponsor wants to have a big reveal, with nothing seen before then.