Friday, August 28, 2009

Stop and smell the roses

And the lavender. And, just for good measure, lemon verbena.

It's a delicious mix, and it's sitting on my desk. Two Intrigue roses, with their spicy scent, a sprig of lemon verbena, seven stems of a particularly large lavender whose name I have forgotten, and a delphinium stalk for my eyes, not my nose.

It's a perfume I'd love to bottle. I've always loved the mix of rose and lavender, but the lemon verbena adds a wonderful high note. I should make some potpourri with this combination, but my potpourri bowl is filled with beads.

I had another at one time, but I'm not sure that it made the journey to California. I gave away so many things to friends before we left; I wanted to simplify and they liked them. Of course, it may still be in a box; we still have a few boxes that didn't get unpacked from our last move.

Isn't that always the case? Who among us has not dragged boxes with unknown contents from house to house? I tried to avoid that when we moved cross-country, but a few snuck in anyway and surprised me when we got here.

It is amazing how persistent some things can be.

No comments: