Thursday, December 24, 2009

Another Christmas Eve

I'm slowly finishing up the last of my Christmas Eve preparations; the gifts are all wrapped and under the tree, the sil (pickled herring) has been transferred to a pretty bowl, and next I will put the homemade candies on the dessert tray.

Then it will be time for me to get as beautiful as I get; I love to get ready slowly on Christmas Eve. I will indulge myself with scrubs and lotions, leave behind my jeans and tank top uniform for an actual (gasp!) dress, and put on a pretty pin, handmade by a friend of mine, the artist behind McLain Jewelry.

You may wonder why I buy jewelry when I make it myself; I buy it because I love having things that my friends have made. The pieces I buy are special to me; when I wear them, I feel especially close to the friend who made it. Handmade items are like that; they carry a little bit of the maker wherever they go.

I hope that wherever you are, you are with friends; in spirit, if not in the flesh.

1 comment:

mclainjewelry said...

oh Cindy! how sweet ... I just caught up with your post about my pin. I am honored and tickled pink that you wore my pin. I am such a huge fan of your work so it is a real mutual admiration society.