Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Creation or evolution?

Nope, not going to have a theological or scientific debate; this is strictly about beadwork. It struck me odd today, as my lace project went off in a direction that I had not anticipated: while I like to think of myself as creative, most of the time I would balk at the word, "creator."

I don't tend to create my pieces; they tend to evolve, suggesting (okay, demanding) that I take them down roads I hadn't planned to travel. Take this piece, for example. Just the other day, someone asked me if I had considered making the flowers 3-dimensional, and I answered quickly and firmly, "No."

It was not something I was considering; not at all.

But I'll be switched if those flowers didn't just want to pop petals out today; I went to do what I'd intended to do, and instead of lying flat, the petals curved enticingly. It's better than what I'd intended to do.

Sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone.

No comments: