Thursday, September 17, 2009

Beading madly

I'm under a deadline, and I'm beading like a madwoman. I've entered the Use the Muse contest again; it's a great way to jump start creativity, and I felt like I needed a good jump start. One of my design teachers (back in the Stone Age, when I was in college) used to say that creativity thrives in a small box, and she was right. A contest like this, with specific parameters and an object that must be used, is an excellent way to rediscover creativity. The only part I don't like is the deadline.

You've got to understand something about me and deadlines; I must finish early. I'm no good under pressure. If things really come down to the wire, I'm just no fun to live with. We're talking major meltdown, here. So I put all my steam into the early days of a project; I will no doubt bead until my eyes cross for the next two to three weeks. My contest entry isn't due until October 19th, but I'll want to have it done by the 12th. A week early is my target; I'm comfortable when I'm done a week early. If I have to work on it during the last week, I'll get progressively nuttier.

This is a semi-realistic deadline; I'll have to bead for about six to eight hours a day to make it. I'm working on the structure of the piece right now; once that is done, I'll begin the embellishing. That's always negotiable; things can have more or less embellishments, depending on time. I don't get too crazy if I'm embellishing at the last minute, but the structure will have to be firmly in place by the end of next week.

Aren't you glad you're not me?

No comments: