Saturday, December 29, 2007

End of year compulsion

What is it about the ending of a year? I'm not much for New Year's resolutions, but the week between Christmas and New Year's day always finds me wanting to organize something. This year, it was my jump rings. They didn't start out to be a mess; they just gradually turned into one. At first, I only felt comfortable with one weave, so I had a few rings cut in the sizes I needed, and they were easy to contain in labeled little plastic bags. They lived in my silver findings box, and things were fine.

For awhile.

But then I wanted to learn different weaves; I wanted to try them in different gauges; and with every piece I made, there were rings left over. Each size went into a little plastic bag, but pretty soon, the collection of little plastic bags outgrew the findings box. No problem; I put all the little bags into a larger bag and stuck it in my drawer.

But then, finding the size I needed started to get difficult. I had to dump all the little bags out of the big bag and look at each one to find the one I needed. Sometimes I didn't find it, so I cut some new rings, labeled a new bag, and dumped the leftovers in the big bag when I was finished. Pretty soon, I had too many little bags, some of them repeats.

Enter my year-end need to organize. Ahhhhh, the big bag is history, and all the little bags are tucked into pockets and neatly hung (ordered by metal, gauge, and size) from binder rings in a cute little 4x6 file card binder. I can flip right to the rings I need; and if they're not there, I know in a minute that it's time to cut.

Life is good.

No comments: