Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Through a glass, darkly

As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods, — They kill us for their sport.
-King Lear Act IV, Scene 1


Anyone remember reading Lord of the Flies? I must have been about 15 or 16 when I read it, and I found it seriously disturbing. So disturbing, in fact, that I had a hard time remembering enough details to pass the test on it. I wanted to put it out of my mind as quickly as possible; if it hadn't been assigned reading, I never would have finished it. It gave me nightmares for quite a long time; it still makes me shudder just to think about it.

So why am I bringing it up now?

Recently, I had cause to do some excavating into the dark underbelly of the teen world on MySpace. I know, on the surface, it simply looks like a fun way for teens to express themselves and have fun chatting with their friends. And for many, that's exactly what it is. But for others, it is a world unto itself, a world as dark as anything Jack could ever imagine.  Perhaps it is just pretend; no more real than the novel that disturbed me so.

Or perhaps not.

No comments: