Monday, March 9, 2009

Round and round I go

I'm still spiraling. I took a break and made a darling flower from a pattern published in the April issue of Bead and Button by Melissa Grakowsky; I used the spiral colors, mostly because I was too lazy to pick out new colors, but also because I like them. So now the flower has found a new home on the spiral necklace, and I've found some new motivation to finish it.

I'm leaving the peyote rope on one side of the big loopy spiral I've already finished, and adding a smaller Dutch spiral to the other side. Yup, I'm making this one asymmetrical; and wouldn't you know it, I'm finally feeling good about it. It's funny; I've been trying to figure out why I don't like using spirals, and I just can't quite put my finger on it.

I've done things that were just as repetitive, and liked the way they came out.

Perhaps it's the fact that they seem to be symmetrical, but aren't. All I know is that I really hated all the symmetrical designs I tried to force my spirals into, and I don't hate this asymmetrical design. I don't think it is going to be one of my all time favorites, but that's okay. Sometimes the stuff I learn while making things, even things I'm not crazy about, is worth more to me than the things I make.

No comments: