Monday, March 2, 2009

Still changing things

My contest entry has been sitting on my desk for awhile now, ostensibly finished, but every now and again I get the urge to do something to it. Today, I changed out the maille links; I'd used a Japanese 2 in 1 weave because I didn't want the maille to stand out, and it is just about the simplest weave going. Oddly enough, it did call attention to itself. Not in a horrible way, but just enough to make me uncomfortable about it.

So I replaced it with Harvest Moon. Now, on the face of it, that would seem crazy. Harvest Moon is a much more complex and layered weave than 2 in 1; but it blends better. The first thought isn't always the best thought; this piece has proved that to me. I don't usually spend so much time reworking things; I'm a fairly confident designer, and I'm always anxious to get on to the next idea that is bubbling around in my brain.

So far, every new thought has made it just a little bit better. Cool, eh?

No comments: