Monday, July 13, 2009

Need for speed

I just upgraded my Mac from 512 megabytes of RAM to 2 gigabytes. We're blazing now! And then I spent the past hour clicking on things just to see how fast they'd load. Colossal waste of time, I know, but I'll make it up when doing real work.

I've been messing with computers for most of my life; I remember keypunching. I did my own keypunching when I first started programming, and I dropped my fair share of decks back when a deck was a box full of cards, and not a Power Point presentation. Slides were something you squinted at, or put in a projector; usually upside down or backwards.

Sometimes it strikes me how much the world has changed in the past 50 years. I don't feel all that much different; sure I'm a bit more creaky, and the outside package isn't as nice to look at as it was 30 years ago, but on the inside, I'm still the same.

Do wish I could replace the RAM in time; I'd slow it down. I like my computer to go fast, but I'd very much like my life to go a bit slower.


No comments: