Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fun and games

I've been playing with beads today. In between other things, of course; laundry and housework had to be done, but most of the day was playtime.

What's the difference between beadwork and bead play, you ask?

For me, it's jettisoning the need to document. I did not take a single note today, did not sketch any diagrams, did not put anything down on paper so that I would remember what I had done. I simply picked up beads and put thread through them in whatever way seemed like a good idea at the time.

I can get away with that, because I was doing variations on someone else's theme. Eventually, my play will take me so far away from her pattern that even she would have no idea that was where I started, and then the process of beadwork will resume; but that will take lots and lots of playing.

Tough job, eh?

No comments: