Sunday, October 14, 2007

The means of doing this

Yesterday we went to a home show; my husband is interested in renewable energy, and he wanted to see what was being offered to the remodeling population. There were a few representatives from solar companies, and some insulation dealers, but most of the displays were more geared toward looks than toward performance. And since I am someone who spends a lot of time making things just because I think they're pretty, I understand that.

Beauty is functional.

Oh, not at the expense of food, or a roof over one's head; there are issues of subsistence that must be addressed before the aesthetic can be admitted; but, to risk cliche, a thing of beauty is a joy forever.

After the home show, we stopped at a local bookstore for a cup of tea and a browse, and I found myself looking through the art books. It's something I do a lot of, actually, and yesterday I was very aware of how lucky I am to live in an age of print. I don't have to own beauty to enjoy it.

No comments: