Monday, October 8, 2007

One bead at a time

It has occurred to me that many of the things I like to do involve small, repetitious actions; in fact, they are often described as tedious by those who watch me slowly wend my way toward completion.
Tedious: too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous : a tedious journey.

Erm, that's housework. Not making lace. Not embroidery. Not quilting. Not making jewelry, for goodness sake!

I'll concede too long, slow, and even monotonous moments. Dull? Uh, sometimes. But never tiresome. Oh, no; quite the opposite. The process of making things, those small, repetitious movements, serves to quiet the turmoil in my soul and concentrate my energy. Why this, and not other, equally small and equally repetitious movements, like washing windows? I wonder.

It isn't because of the end product; no, I am notorious for putting the things I make away and forgetting about them. I actually spend a lot more time appreciating the results of my housework. But the process of cleaning does not have the same effect on me. I rush through it, intent on the goal of finishing, seeing only the results, which never last long enough. Spiders are even more industrious than I, and I see defeat on a daily basis. That's tedium in my eyes.

Hmmmmm. Perhaps I need to live my life as I create: one bead at a time, put the results away quickly, and welcome the chance to make something new.

No comments: